Vindicated


Wrote this song in the 1970s.


It was September 2026 by the time I got it recorded. This, after I rediscovered the original lyrics.
"Teacher, teacher, with the piercing eye,
You got your dreams, I got mine.
So don't you pick on me when I can't fight back;
Don't ring the curtain down at the start of the act!

Teacher, teacher, can I sing you a song?
Sit quiet at the back, will you let me sing along?
So when they come with their silver scene,
I won't have to worry 'bout what might have been.

Vindicated! The tables are turning!
Vindicated! The bridges are burning!
Vindicated! Never did crawl,
When I was right up against it
With my back to the wall!

I proved him wrong, I got what it takes.
Struggled and pushed as I worked for the breaks.
But always I was living with the fear I'd fail,
'Cause he couldn't see the crow for the nightingale.

Vindicated! I laugh the last!
Vindicated! Makes up for the past!
Vindicated! Who took the last bow?
You only read the first page and look at me now!

I would never find an answer
Following the glory trails?
He couldn't see the silver dancer.
Didn't hear the crows for the nightingales.

Don't set the kid off on the wrong track,
Just 'cause you can't see him running for the rest of the pack!
And when the curtain comes down,
Let him take a little bow.
It won't cost you nothing,
Don't turn your back on him now!

Vindicated! Don't put down the dreamer.
Vindicated! You may not redeem her.
Vindicated! You're way off the rails,
If you can't hear the crows for the nightingales!"

No comments:

Post a Comment